The aim of the European project ULTFARMS, 'Circular low-trophic offshore aquaculture in wind farms and restoration of marine space', is to generate a profitable, sustainable and ecological production chain of low-trophic level species (seaweed and molluscs) in offshore wind farms located in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. It will combine novel engineering with the study of ecological and biological processes to optimise the production of these species under harsh offshore and/or low-salinity conditions. Its results would help to boost the self-consumption of these products in Europe, while reducing the carbon footprint of their production.
The ULTFARMS project will be established in six pilot plants located in the offshore wind farms of Belwind (Belgium), Borssele (the Netherlands), FINO2 and FINO3 (Germany), Anholt and Samsø (both in Denmark). During its 42-month duration, stakeholders from the entire aquaculture value chain will be involved in order to optimize the production of marine species of interest from a commercial and environmental point of view, while generating clean energy from wind resources.
ULTFARMS has received more than 9 million euros from the European Union's Horizon research and innovation programme. The initiative is led by Deltares, an independent institute for water and subsurface research based in the Netherlands. The project consortium consists of 25 members from 9 countries, of which Technological Corporation of Andalusia (CTA) is the only Spanish partner.
- Coordinator: STICHTING DELTARES (DELTARES) – Netherlands
- FUNDACION CORPORACION TECNOLOGICA DE ANDALUCIA (FCTA) - Spain
- FORSCHUNGS- UND ENTWICKLUNGSZENTRUM FACHHOCHSCHULE KIEL GMBH (FuE FH KIEL) - Germany
- UNIVERSITEIT GENT (UGent) - Belgium
- INSTITUT ROYAL DES SCIENCES NATURELLES DE BELGIQUE (RBINS) - Belgium
- VLAAMS INSTITUUT VOOR DE ZEE (VLIZ) - Belgium
- JAN DE NUL NV (JAN DE NUL NV) - Belgium
- PARKWIND (PARKWIND) - Belgium
- KIELER MEERESFSARM GMBH & CO KG (KMF&Co) - Germany
- BBE MOLDAENKE GMBH (BBE) - Germany
- SUBMARINER NETWORK FOR BLUE GROWTH EWIV (SUBMARINER) - Germany
- GL GARRAD HASSAN DEUTSCHLAND GMBH (DNV) - Germany
- BLA BIOMASSE A/S (BB) - Denmark
- ORSTED WIND POWER A/S (Ørsted) - Denmark
- DANMARKS TEKNISKE UNIVERSITET (DTU) - Denmark
- IMPACT9 ENERGY & MARINE LIMITED (Impact9) - Irleland
- BANTRY MARINE RESEARCH STATION LIMITED (BMRS) - Ireland
- SPF OCEAN RAINFOREST (ORF) – Faroe Islands
- HORTIMARE BV (Hortimare) – Netherlands
- VAN DE BRAAK Catharina (SAS) – Netherlands
- OOS SMF BV (OOS SMF) – Netherlands
- STICHTING WAGENINGEN RESEARCH (WR) – Netherlands
- HIDROMOD MODELACAO EM ENGENHARIA LDA (HIDROMOD) - Portugal
- NORDIC SEAFARM AB (NSF) - Sweden
- GOETEBORGS UNIVERSITET (UGOT) - Sweden
Budget and deadline
Budget: 9.590.770,66 €
Deadline: 01/01/2023 - 30/06/2026
CTA coordinates the ULTFARMS work package dedicated to the exploitation and commercialisation of the project results. To this end, it will involve the consortium members in different activities, starting with the identification of exploitable results and the performance of a market study with potential competitors, collaborators and customers.
CTA will also develop a business plan, will evaluate the impact of the project by carrying out an economic and financial viability analysis and will manage the intellectual property rights.